As you’re working with home sellers in this market, it’s important to help them understand the need to differentiate their home from competitors. As you may well know, open houses are considered “the norm” when selling a home; however, open houses provide a perfect opportunity to show active home buyers specific features that make it stand out.
When taking your open house to the next level, think of the emotions associated with purchasing a home. Home buyers will typically connect with a home based on the feeling they get with it. So, convey a certain type of atmosphere in order to get buyers to yearn for the home. You can accomplish this through a variety of ways.
Here are some ideas you can discuss with your sellers:
1. Emotion: Joy. You can really bring in happiness and joy to the home by showcasing life & energy. You want a buyer to envision themselves living in this home; therefore, provide a positive sentiment.
2. Emotion: Surprise. Amaze a home buyer by highlighting focal points. If the home has an amazing feature, such as a gourmet kitchen, then showcase that kitchen by having delicious food served inside of it. Or if you have an incredible deck, throw a barbeque.
3. Emotion: Anticipation. Don’t forget aromas to help guide a buyer through the home. When a home smells like it has been lived in, not only will it be less appealing but buyers will want to walk through quickly instead of admiring the home’s assets. However, if the home smells fresh, clean and welcoming, then a buyer may want to stay awhile.
**One of the best tips to offer is baking a fresh batch of cookies. The smell of warm gooey cookies will melt anyone’s heart!**
4. Emotion: Awe. Offer the feeling of luxury when buyers walk through the home! Remove a lot of inexpensive items to make room for the more expensive possessions. Doing this will give the illusion to buyers that you can afford the house payment and the little indulgences!
5. Emotion: Optimism. Give the illusion of space, so buyers will feel they can grow into the home. Do so by reviewing one of the best tips for an open house: de-cluttering!
Every real estate agent has learned their own tips and tricks for open houses over the years. Share yours with us below or check out more creative ideas on promoting an open house.
Photo: Emotion Color Wheel