You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it…you’re supposed to sell the “benefits” of your listings, not the “features,” but that’s easier said than done. Anyone can slap together a description for the “4 bed 2.5 bath home for sale with huge deck and great view.” It takes a bit more effort to describe the listing in a way that resonates with a potential buyer by recommending they, “Abandon busy city-living and envision yourself basking on your generously sized deck, enjoying a view most people can only dream of! Make the ‘possibilities’ realities with this spacious 4 bed, 2.5 bath home!” If you want your ads to show this liveliness and passion, read on to discover how you can transform them!
Eye Catching Headline
The first thing a homebuyer looks at is your listing photo (which your professional photographer is taking care of, right?), but the second is your headline. Whether you’re sending your listing out in an email, printing a flyer, or posting it to craigslist, your listing’s headline is what will determine if buyers click or move on. If you go to the real estate section of craigslist, it’s easy to get an idea of what other agents in your area are doing…so you can do something else.
Example: If you see a lot of “3 Bed, 2 Bath home” or “2400 sq ft. home on 5 acres,” try something like
- “Million-dollar view for just $250K!”
- “Need more space? We’ve got you covered!”
- “Your suburban oasis awaits!”
- “Ditch the noisy neighbors!”
- “Centrally located! Be anywhere in 10 minutes!”
Your property description shouldn’t be a list of features your home offers. It should tell the story of what living in the home will be like. Start with an introductory statement to capture buyers’ attention, then give the basic listing details. After you’ve done that, cover the benefits of the listing’s primary features.
Example: Instead of “Great starter home for first time buyer or investment opportunity. 3/2 with vaulted ceilings in living room. Centrally located and minutes from parks. Large yard,” try something like
- “Spend less and get more with this great 3/2 starter home! You’ll love the natural light and vaulted ceilings this open floor plan offers! Spend weekends relaxing with the family or invite all your friends over and fire up the grill—your huge yard has plenty of room for everyone! Situated in an award-winning neighborhood, you’ll be just minutes from Gardner Park’s scenic trails and downtown!”
Call to Action
By this point, if you’ve done it right, the buyer should be picturing themselves living in your property. Now you want them to contact you (the most important part, so don’t stop now). Create a call to action that lets possible leads know what you want them to do as well as what’s in it for them.
Example: Instead of just “Call now to schedule a showing!” consider adding something like
- “Don’t settle for anything else!”
- “This is an investment you don’t want to miss!”
- “Don’t let someone else buy your new home!”
- “Visit your future home today!”
- “Find out how you can buy this home for less than the cost of paying rent!”
P.S. Don’t forget to include your contact info!
Looking for more advertising opportunities? A picture is worth a thousand words and Homes.com’s Featured Agent ads allow you to show all your listings just a click away from Google! Call us at (888) 651-8956 or send us an email at email@example.com for more info!