When a new form of social media takes precedence over other platforms amongst one of the largest generations, it’s important to understand what it is and why it’s become so popular. Unlike its other social media counterparts, like Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, TikTok is a video-only social media platform that launched in the U.S. in 2017 and quickly rose in popularity. Created by Zhang Yiming’s company, ByteDance, TikTok was originally launched in 2016 under the name of Douyin, but Zhang expanded the app’s accessibility worldwide in 2017.
About a year after its launch, it was downloaded 663 million times– beating Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and YouTube for most downloads by September 2018. Six months later, it surpassed one billion total downloads worldwide, according to the mobile intelligence agency, Sensor Tower. This shouldn’t come as a shock, however, since TikTok’s U.S. predecessor, Vine, also had quick and substantial growth in popularity during its lifespan. So, what is it about these video sharing platforms that attract so many users?
What is TikTok
TikTok is a user-friendly video creation app that’s available worldwide for mobile devices. Providing its users different filters, effects, music and sound bites, there’s a variety of ways those who use TikTok can create videos that tailor to any message they want to get across. Video length can also range anywhere from 15- to 60-seconds long.
Why is TikTok so Popular
To understand why TikTok is so popular, it’s important to understand what Vine was. Before video creation platforms were as popular, user-friendly, and as easily accessible as they are today, there was a mobile app by the name of Vine that paved the way for similar platforms today.
It was a short-form video creation app that let users create and share six-second clips– think Instagram, but only with videos being shared. Vine was purchased and subsequently discontinued by Twitter in early 2017, but there was still widespread popularity, leaving Vine’s audience disappointed. Then came TikTok. The influencers who rose to fame on Vine were the ones who initiated TikTok’s popularity. From there, it was a snowball effect which led to TikTok becoming the fourth most-downloaded, non-gaming application for all of 2019.
Why Real Estate Agents Should Start Using TikTok
There’s a number of reasons why you should start branding yourself on TikTok as an agent. For starters, the app currently has over 14 million active users a month in the U.S. who spend an average time of 47 minutes on the app during each use. While you may be thinking TikTok is primarily used by Generation Z, approximately 50% of users in the U.S. are between the ages of 18 and 34 with an additional 20% between the ages of 35 and 44. Not only are those prime home buying ages, but 37% of its users have stated they have a household income exceeding $100K! Your target demographic is on TikTok, so why aren’t you?
Real Estate TikTok Examples
Some real estate agents have already broadened their reach into the world of social media. Here are a few examples of what active real estate TikTok videos: Silvano Barocio, Daisy Daniels, and Ashley the Las Vegas Realtor.
Tips to Elevate Yourself as an Agent Using TikTok
If you’re interested in using TikTok to market yourself as an agent, but not sure where to start, try using some of these tips to start creating video content that can reach almost 10 million users who fit the homebuying cohort.
- Find evergreen content. Evergreen content is content that will be a resource for years to come and isn’t related to a trend or fad.
- Home tours. Turn your listings into virtual home tours by using TikTok’s filters, effects, and music features on the app.
- Keep up with TikTok trends. On your “for you page” you’ll begin to see videos that follow a similar format to others, but with different content. Use this to your advantage and get creative with how you can incorporate real estate into these trends.
- Hashtags are important. Whether you’re providing tips for first-time homebuyers, doing a virtual home tour, or participating in a TikTok trend, make sure you use the best hashtags. If a trend has a corresponding hashtag, don’t forget to include it!
- Be creative. Don’t be scared to try something new. TikToks uses an algorithm with artificial intelligence to make sure user’s content will be seen. You can create a video that will go viral without even expecting it to happen!
For more content ideas to use in your new TikTok videos, download the free eBook: 300 Content Ideas for Your Blog and Social Channels